Thursday, December 20, 2012

Saturday 15 December – Sunday 16 December


A really cool tree outside of the Good Shepherd Convent.
After leaving the Good Shepherd Convent I was back in the loving care of Sr. Deepa and the Holy Cross Sisters. I felt like I was going ‘home’ and instead of going in the front door we entered through the back. I thought I would be able to carry my own bags and clean my own dishes after meals at this point (especially since doing it all week) but I was wrong. Srs. Sheeba, Jyothi and Igna came with us from the Partners Meeting and along with Srs. Rufin, Cristy and Jeeva (who was visiting from Maski) they all doted on me as if I had just arrived. These Sisters have devoted themselves to serving the Lord and to serving others and it comes so naturally to them. I finally gave up and just allowed them to ‘mother’ me.

Srs. Jeeva, Deepa, Rufin and Cristy.
On Friday afternoon, after a week of early mornings, late nights and FULL days I crashed! I napped, had supper and went to bed before 9. I should also mention that all morning I had been telling people I was flying home that evening... I totally thought it was the 15th, but it was really only the 14th. I definitely confused some people back home and when I realized the difference was really thrown off!



Me in a bangle shop! SO many!
I’m so glad I had one more day in India as I was finally able to spend some time in Bangalore City. Srs. Deepa and Sheeba took me shopping. Sr. Sheeba is such a lovely person – I’m so happy I had an extra day to spend with her. She is the Site Director of our Assam Site in north-eastern India. The Site focuses on helping differentaly-abled people with rehab and integration into society. I had some money that I needed to spend (can’t use rupees in Canada...) and we shopped for hours, visiting street vendors and stalls! I bought another chudidar (I bought one in Kottayam and 2 were made for me in Pilarthara) and another saree. Sarees are so beautiful and very cheap. For about $4 you can buy enough material for the saree and blouse that is worn under it. I really had to use restraint! After shopping for clothes we headed to a supermarket and I stocked up on some spices. I admit I’ll be taking a break from Indian food, but soon enough I’ll want a reminder of the amazing meals I’ve had here!

A street view of Bangalore.
In the evening, after I got myself all packed and ready to go, I went to a Christmas concert with Srs. Cristy and Sheeba. It really helped to get me in the Christmas spirit. It’s been hard to remember how close it is to the holidays. The temperature has been a lovely 20+ degrees and there is no snow... I’ll be in for a shock when I get off the plane in Halifax! It was also Sr. Sheeba's birthday so we shared a yummy pineapple cake!

Leaving for the airport was bittersweet. It’s really sad to leave this wonderful country and its beautiful people but knowing that I will soon be home is really exciting! The trip home is so far uneventful (I’m currently on the flight from Frankfurt to Toronto) and the layover in Frankfurt was looooong! I must admit that boarding for the Air Canada flight was slightly frustrating. In the last three weeks I don’t think I heard a single person complain. Certainly I heard lots of desperate stories, but the desperation was not there, only honesty and gratefulness. Hearing complaints of what I call ‘first world problems’ was irritating – ‘It’s SO stuffy in this airport – they should have some fans or air conditioning;” “Can I change my seat? I don’t want to sit in a middle seat;” “There is no room for MY bags in MY compartment;” “I don’t like olives and I just ate chicken – why can’t there be more than one non-vegetarian option.” I think it’s going to take some time to readjust to my privileged lifestyle, though I hope that I never completely do. Certainly I’ve had ‘life changing’ experiences before, where I felt as though things would never go back to the way they were, and they always eventually do; if not to the way they were before, to a new kind of normal - equilibrium is always restored. I truly hope that re-reading this blog will help to keep me centered, grateful for what I do have and proud of my accomplishments, no matter how big or small. Thank you for taking the time to follow my adventure. I hope it’s been as much fun reading as it has been writing. I may come back to it from time to time and when I do, I’ll let you know. Until my next “Amazing Adventure,” I wish you an abundance of blessings and the wisdom to recognize them.

Peace,
Alisha

No comments:

Post a Comment